Saturday, August 7, 2010

Avatar Again?

I'm quite confused earlier either should I pick "The Last Airbender" or "Tekken" simply to throw up some cash even thou I knew I'm risking my meals and dinners for the rest of the months. But then, I got lucky since in today's free newspaper (perlu ke mentioned...LOL), there are reviews on both films done by the reporter. Thank you bro for your excellente' and sincerity in presenting your very daboom comments and remarks. You really made my day. :D

This time around, I drove direct to Bukit Tinggi as I plan to pay for my broadband bill before the dateline next week. Had sizzling yee mee with mushroom and chicken at the food court on level 2. Thou it may not be as superb as what I've tasted on my first attempt in the year 1998, but all in all it's quite good and tasty. :p

Movie start at 10 pm and it was way too crowded with people and kids - what would you expect right as this one was an
adaptation of the popular animated Nickelodeon TV series "Avatar". At first, I did asked myself why on earth are they changing the title of the movie. It creates confusion among us especially when the mesmerizing and splendid "Avatar" came over to cinema last December 2009. Soon I google it and found out that they dropped "Avatar" from the title of the action-adventure so as to avoid confusion with James Cameron's 3-D epic "Avatar". huhu

Summary:-
The world is divided into four kingdoms, each represented by the element they harness, and peace has lasted throughout the realms of Water, Air, Earth, and Fire under the supervision of the Avatar, a link to the spirit world and the only being capable of mastering the use of all four elements. When young Avatar Aang disappears, the Fire Nation launches an attack to eradicate all members of the Air Nomads to prevent interference in their future plans for world domination.

100 years pass and current Fire Lord Ozai continues to conquer and imprison anyone with elemental "bending" abilities in the Earth and Water Kingdoms, while siblings Katara and Sokka from a Southern Water Tribe find a mysterious boy trapped beneath the ice outside their village. Upon rescuing him, he reveals himself to be Aang, Avatar and last of the Air Nomads. Swearing to protect the Avatar, Katara and Sokka journey with him to the Northern Water Kingdom in his quest to master "Waterbending" and eventually fulfill his destiny of once again restoring peace to the world.

But as they inch nearer to their goal, the group must evade Prince Zuko, the exiled son of Lord Ozai, Commander Zhao, the Fire Nation's military leader, and the tyrannical onslaught of the evil Fire Lord himself.

My very first comment would be that if you really think that the teaser shown earlier is somehow a scene in this first film, you'll definitely found yourself hopeless. What you'll actually see were how Aang strive to live and to fulfill his destiny as an "Avatar" - the one and only who can communicate with the spirit (kind of a dragon looks a like) and to maintain the order and to bring back the peace to the world. For visual effects, I would say "Congratulation to M. Night Shyamalan. You've successfully integrate cultures in your movies especially on the custom and tradition between east and west particularly on the practice of martial arts, concept of yin & yang, love and responsibility".

However, I find myself kind of rushing from one plot to another since the beginning till almost 3/4 of the story. There are things which need for further clarification and justification in order to ensure the level of acceptance and understanding is similar between audience. In addition to that, there's a lot of narration going on in this movie and the attitude/behavior of each character is quite different from what we normally seen in the animation. Therefore, I really hope that for the sequence of this movie, producer shall cover the lacks in the previous one, further improve on the story board and on the characters attitude.

All in all for me, it worth every penny I spent tonight. Though I may not be as lucky like previous one where I'm surrounded by gugurls in the cinema (mlm ni kene kerumun ngn laki2 badan gedabak besau..huhu), I did enjoy the show and I'm quite satisfied. Aang is quite kawai in this movie (aku bukan gay ok, tp mmg comey pong) and wish that there is a sequence for this one - where we can see how Aang further improve his skill and successfully learn, control and manipulate all 4 elements. And also, Aang in this movie is quite serious and aren't playful as what we've seen in the animation. Hence, it would be such a pleasant if they can somehow inject more humour in Aang's act. For those who plans to bring small children to watch the show, don't worry - there's only 1 kissing scene between the Princess Yue and Sokka - just normal 3 secs kiss. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment